Ingredients for 4 people:
- Instant pre-cooked maize flour = 150 grams
- Lukewarm water = 220 grams
- Salt 4 grams
It is basic to use this type of flour to obtain tender and flexible tortillas.
If the maize flour is precooked, but not instantaneous, you will get some tortillas with harder textures
How to Make the Corn Tortillas Recipe. Easy Recipe:
- To facilitate kneading, it is advisable that the water we are going to use is rather hot, without burning.
- A temperature around 38-40ºC is ideal. Therefore, we started the recipe by slightly heating the water. For this, we can make use of a saucepan or microwave oven.
- We put the cornmeal in a bowl. Once the water is hot, we pour it over the flour little by little.
- As we add water, we knead it so that the flour absorbs it.
- Once we have our dough ready, we put to heat our griddle, or pan, lightly greased with butter.
- We take a ball of mass the size of a golf ball, put it between two sheets of plastic, and crush it to a disc 1 millimeter thick.
- We can use a plastic bag which is used to freeze food.
- When the griddle or pan is hot, we put inside our dough disc. We cook, over medium heat, for a few minutes on each side. When we turn our tortillas, we press them with our hand, or with a spatula, to swell them. If the measures of the pan allow it, we can cook several tortillas at a time.
- When we put one or several dough discs in the pan, we proceed to form more. Once we have cooked the tortillas, we serve them immediately with the chosen accompaniment.