2 cups brown sugar, packed well (500 ml)
3/4 cup salted butter Lactantia®, softened (175 ml)
3 large Naturoeuf Omega eggs (3)
1 tsp vanilla extract (5 ml)
2 cups all-purpose flour (500 ml)
3/4 cup cocoa powder with no added sugar (175 ml)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda (7 mL)
1/2 tsp salt (2 mL)
1 cup buttermilk (250 mL)
2 tbsp instant coffee pellets (30 mL)
3/4 cup hot water (175 mL)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (175 mL)
1/3 cup water (75 mL)
3/4 cup whipping cream 35% (175 mL)
2 tsp vanilla extract (10 ml )
2 cups salted butter Lactantia® (500 ml )
3 cups icing sugar (or more as needed) (750 ml )
1 cup (approximately) caramel nuggets SKOR CHIPITS (250 ml )
1/2 tsp salt
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease two 9-inch (23-cm) round cake pans and line with Reynolds® parchment paper.
2. Whisk sugar and butter until smooth. Whisk in one egg at a time; add vanilla. Stir in flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir dry ingredients into butter mixture, beating and alternating twice with buttermilk.
3. Dissolve coffee in hot water; gradually stir into batter until just smooth. Pour the mixture into both molds. Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out dry. Let cool for 15 minutes; unmould on a wire rack and let cool completely.
4. Icing: Meanwhile, place a mountain of granulated sugar in the centre of a medium-thick saucepan over medium heat. Add the water, cover and bring to a boil (without stirring) over medium heat.
5. Remove the lid and cook, stirring frequently, until the mixture turns amber. Remove from the heat. Immediately slip-on insulating gloves and quickly whisk in the cream until smooth; stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
6. Beat butter until foamed; stir in all prepared caramel except 2 Tbsp. (30 mL). Gradually add icing sugar at low speed; increase speed and continue beating until frosting is smooth and frothy.
7. Glaze between floors as well as the outside of the cake; with a spatula, draw pretty swirls on the cake. Gently squeeze caramel nuggets around the cake. Drizzle with reserved caramel.